16 November 2010

Library Monthly Event Signs, November 2010

Every month I create a series of event listing bulletin signs for all the libraries. Some libraries have only a few events each month, while others have many. For the branches with few events, I can list their full program of events on a single 8.5x11in. page; for others, I might use a legal 8.5x14in. Most, however, require an 11x17in. tabloid-sized page, and certain branches will even fill up three tabloid pages with their full range of events. 


My aim is to develop a consistent and cohesive looking theme to this series of signs. I because the amount of event text will vary from page-to-page, I've decided to not apply a standard design template to each page. Instead, I work with the same design elements, but place them in different areas and orientations to work within the spaces that are naturally created by the content. I work images into white space gaps, or I wrap text around images. 


I prefer a certain airy-ness over clutter, but I also have to squeeze in a lot of content at times, so it is a balancing act, and some pages are more successful than others. By-and-large, however, the end result is a series of event signs that hold together well from branch to branch within the design theme used. I was particularly pleased with this series for November. A few of the many pages created are shown above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment