10 March 2011

Pre-School Puppet Theater: Bear Snores On

From top to bottom: quarter-page handbill, print ad, web ad.
Yesterday our Headquarters branch youth services librarians (three to five of them) put on a story time puppet show for pre-schoolers aged 3-5. I think they do this once a month, and it is always met with great fanfare. In fact, I was told that 88 people attended this most recent show, Bear Snores On.

Eighty-eight. Wow! I was told that it would have been 89 people if I had gotten there at least 15 minutes earlier. I just missed it, and I was soooo disappointed--really! I wanted to see my librarians in action. They actually sit in a big wooden box that looks like a miniature stage. It's a long way from Broadway, but it's also more convenient...if I would only get out of my own bear's den more often!

For promotional collaterals, I usually create an 8.5x11 inch sign design, quarter-page handbills, a web ad for the library website, and sometimes a black/white print ad for the newspaper or other publications.

2 comments:

  1. Do you get to help them design their stages? That would be kinda fun also. Is the picture you used above from a book they used for the show? Or did you find it online somewhere? Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The image above is from the book "Bear Snores On." I scanned it off of a book cover provided to me by a librarian, if I recall. They recreated scenes from the book on a small, live stage not unlike the one you see in the picture. Our youth librarians team up together to create the stage decorations and puppets, then rehearse, and finally give on a live performance. Whenever a puppet show is advertised, people flock to it like you wouldn't believe. At a puppet show unrelated to this one, I learned that we had over 110 people show. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete