26 December 2011

Science Online Display Poster

The 68x44 inch large format display poster.

A simple 3-step process fuses two
posters together to become one.
Our large 68x44 inch reference desk display bulletin board is the designated location for promoting our online database collections. We generally promote a different database each month. The display team coordinator lets me know which it will be and works to filter through all the marketing messaging to hone in on key points to promote on a large format poster that I develop and print in house using our Hewlett-Packard DesignJet800 printer.

The widest dimension the printer can print out is 36 inches, so at 44 inches deep, I must print out a top and bottom of the poster, then strip it together. The way I approach it is to find the best area on the poster image that will conceal the cut, if it is possible. As shown in the three production images, I will cut along edges of things to remove a portion of either the top or bottom print out. I will then match up the cut-away portion to the second print out, placing double sided clear tape where the two surfaces will join together. I don't try to pull a line of tape that runs a fully uninterrupted length of the poster. 

Instead, I pull short lengths of tape and allow small gaps between where I apply them. This helps in handling of the tape so application doesn't wrinkle or head off in a direction you don't want. It also helps in reducing extravagant materials consumption. Once the bottom side is taped, I lightly tack down an area of the top print out and lightly pull it into place over top the bottom print, then smooth it down when I'm satisfied that I'd matched up the two layers. What results is a single large format poster that has few imperfections to reveal it is actually two parts pieced together.

No comments:

Post a Comment