31 July 2012

Courses Andy Wished They’d Offered in Library School

Every once in a while I get curious to see if anyone else has any information about graphic design for libraries, and when I do, I go to google.com to input a few select phrases to see what pings back. The results always come back with my Library Marketing Design blog at the top, followed by other websites that include some combination of the words I use, although not in the exact order. 

Today, one of the web pages I previewed while doing my search was a thoughtful entry by Andy Burkhardt at:

http://andyburkhardt.com/2011/12/06/courses-i-wish-theyd-offered-in-library-school/comment-page-1/#comment-2902




Thanks to Andy & others for your generous compliments!
There, Andy discussed his views on some things he'd wished he had the opportunity to learn more about both while studying to become a librarian, as well as once he had become one. He offered a few links that other librarians and marketing agents of library services might like to view too.

I felt compelled to introduce myself to Andy and to thank him for his blog post because it expressed what I often feel about marketing for library events and services: that the responsibility falls on librarians who are inadequately trained to generate high quality level promotions and/or have little physical materials or software expertise to do so. 

Librarians, I hear you! That is why I like to find you and let you know my blog is here to raise awareness about promotional marketing for libraries, to offer examples of work I've done for my own library, and to hopefully provide inspiration, tips, and resourceful information to those interested in creating their own promotional marketing materials.

So I commented on Andy's blog as a way to introduce myself to him and other librarians who might find my blog of interest and use to them. I welcome your readership, your questions, and comments on how I can help you more.

My message to Andy:
Hello Andy,
I’m discovering your entry here about six months after its posting and thank you for your links; I thought they were interesting and valuable. Since your entry is asking about library graphic design and promoting library events, I’d like to invite and welcome you and your colleagues with a link to my blog that is dedicated entirely to the design and development of promotional materials for library events and services. I hope you will find it helpful for generating ideas and in the development of your own promotional materials.
librarymarketingdesign.blogspot.com
At my blog I give examples of my work as the sole graphic designer for the Alachua County Library District in Gainesville, Florida. I show samples of my work, add some commentary about the project requirements and development of the pieces, mention occasional obstacles encountered, and share production tips, ideas, and where to find helpful resources.
I’m happy to receive comments and to strike up a dialog with librarian staff who might be looking for inspiration, information, and advice.
Thanks for your posting and potential interest to join me over at Library Marketing Design.
Best,
Scot Sterling

I didn't include this link in my message to Andy, but had it out to review and offer it as a good resource for current designers and designer "wanna-bes": 
http://psd.tutsplus.com/articles/web/50-totally-free-lessons-in-graphic-design-theory/

2 comments:

  1. I guess you already know I've "borrowed" from you several times. My work is not the high quality of yours, since we are a very small community public library. But your ideas have helped me with my displays and promotionals, although I've had to cut and paste and whatever to make them look presentable. Thanks for being there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to Andy for his generously kind Tweet about my blog at:

    https://twitter.com/vonburkhardt/status/235718986329911296

    I'd "Fave" his Tweet, but I am not a "twitter-er" (or is that "tweeter"?

    ReplyDelete