18 November 2010

Author Event: unspOILed


In September 2010, the library hosted an author event comprised of multiple speakers who had traveled the Florida region and subsequently wrote about the ecological effects of the British Petroleum oil platform disaster which leaked millions of gallons of oil into the Gulf of Mexico, as well as other ecological challenges the region faced.


To publicize the event, the library received the "unspoiled" program logotype and a high contrast image of a child squatting on the beach with a toy boat. I sourced for an image of water--not any water, but water with an oily sheen. Ideally, I wanted oily water so strikingly colourful that it reminded me of a "mood ring." I eventually found a couple of images and selected a tiny portion of a larger image to use in my designs.


I also incorporated a "wave" into the uppermost aspect of the black field that I reversed the body text out of. This wave became a line that I could write the names of the participating authors on.


The full program of design items included:


1 23x34in. large format display poster
Multiple 11x17in. tabloid-sized signs,
Multiple quarter-page handbills
1 black/white newspaper ad
1 ACLD homepage web ad
2 online newspaper ads of different sizes

2 comments:

  1. This is definitely one of my favorites so far. I like the color slick on the water against the black/white. But, I also like the message in the title combined with the picture of a child. Powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I definitely like how this high contrast black/white image plays against the eye-catching colour of the slick. For some people, oil exploration is a black and white issue; for others, they can appreciate that it can run the full spectrum from great to disastrous.

    ReplyDelete