18 November 2010

Author Event: MD Abrams

My first Author's Event collateral exercise took place in August for local mystery writer, MD Abrams who placed her stories in and around the north Florida region. The only item we had available to us were covers of her books and her bio portrait. 


I wasn't keen to use any of those images as the main focal point of the publicity collaterals. Instead, I wanted to have one image that evoked some general sense of mystery that lurked in the nearby shadows—almost within reach of discovery, but not quite there yet. After searching for images of trees, prairie grass, and sunsets, but not finding anything I liked, I decided to render my own image in Adobe Illustrator.


The image became a backdrop for the reversed out text; yellow brought attention to the event location and Abrams' three books. One book had won an award and I wished I had a picture of whatever the award was, so I tracked down the organization that awarded her and got an image of the bronze medal that her book received. I thought this would be a great focal point and way to emphasize her book's success.


The exercise called for the following items as seen above:


1 23x34in. large format poster (same proportions used for 3 11x17 tabloid-size signs)
20 8.5x11in. pages of quarter-page colour handbills
1 newspaper print ad, black/white


Once the poster was placed on the bulletin board in the library, I felt like something more enticing needed to be said about who the author was and a more in-depth synopsis about her books. So I pulled together a small bio page with Abrams' photo on one page, and on another page I printed out a synopsis of each book that I culled from a variety of reviews and rewrote to reflect what I felt the most enticing backstories were to generate interest.


I learned from the library program director the week after the event that Abrams complimented the advertising and display graphics as being the best she had ever seen (I'm sure she meant regarding promoting her own work, not of all time). I was pleased that she thought so highly of the work and made a point to have the library program director offer the poster to her a few weeks later. Abrams declined the offer, so who knows...maybe the work wasn't so great after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment