01 April 2011

Library Monthly Event Signs, April 2011

April monthly event listing signs featured the theme of "rain."
You know the old saying: "April showers bring May flowers." That is the theme of that my April monthly event listing signs plays off of for the ACLD branch libraries. I sourced a variety of rain related public domain imagery and selected shots I felt would best lend themselves to being incorporated into layouts with varying amounts of text. Most shots had to have enough open space to allow for two full columns of text, other shots could be busier and allow for less. Once I knew what the text length would be required for each branch, I could try to balance those length requirements with a matching image. 


As it turned out, I was able to manage some consistency of images for each branch. For example, Hawthorne received the two white background shots seen above that used closed umbrellas (I particularly liked the pink duck umbrella); Millhopper received a series of three gray shots--one of a dark, cloudy sky, one of a black umbrella, and one of a dark water surface; Tower Road received two different red umbrella shots; Headquarters received three different coloured umbrella surface shots. These and other combinations of shots mix-and-matched their way around the complete 11-library district.


This month I also developed a new "container" shape to hold the two columns of text in, a shape that resembled an open book. I frequently use this element behind the columns of text and over the background image to help improve visibility of the text. I do this by making the shape lighter or darker so that the background photo doesn't interfere with the legibility of the words. I've used different container shapes before on other monthly event signs, but I think this one will have to become a standard feature because its book shape relates so perfectly to the notion of reading and libraries.


So now that you have seen what the April theme is, I bet you can guess what the May theme will be to complete the saying...yes?

3 comments:

  1. We could use some of that rain! Looks like y'all have a lot going on in April.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that "container" shape you developed. I need to find out what you mean by "developed." I could use something like that in several things I do.
    And my friend Woody has a duck umbrella...only it's navy blue. The pink one was probably for a girl, huh?
    Yes, I'm sure May will have some flowers in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the pink one was pretty cute...most likely for the girls, and more personality than the standard ones. Duck one would have been a neat one to use too.

    As for "developing", that's simply a word to describe the process of...well...developing an idea from inception through some stage of the creative process. For this particular shape, I didn't want to continue to repeat the same ghosted background shape I had been using (one with little notches along the sides to either side of the headline), so I thought about what other shapes I could use.

    I could say that I sketched it out to imagine it, but once I thought of the shape of an open book, I knew I wanted a bezier curve for the page and a straight vertical line for the book edge. So I opened up my page layout computer program, Adobe InDesign, penned out a bezier line shape, connected it to a vertical line, flipped a copy of it horizontally to become the second half of the book, and flipped a copy of that combination vertically to become the bottom half of the book. After connecting all the corners together, I had a basic silhouette of a book shape. I could then move any combination of the edges to adjust it to the size I wanted, based on how lengthy the text was that it would lay under. That's how I "developed" it! =)

    ReplyDelete